Sunday, February 3, 2008

Welcome to my basement

Inspired by Matakishis' Teahouse I created this blog to document my wargaming projects. Hopefully it will serve to motivate me to finish a number of projects that have languished, some for years now. It will also serve to document some of the battles that take place.

I have been a tabletop wargamer for a little more than two decades. Like many my age I played AD&D and other RPG's as a Junior and Senior High student. In the late 80's my friends and I discovered Games Workshop's Space Hulk. It wasn't long before we started playing Warhammer 40,000 and Space Marine. After high school I discovered Warhammer Fantasy Battles and fell in love. Eventually I started playing other games and began playing more historical battles with a group of new friends in a neighboring city.

Lucky for me in college I started dating a girl who would indulge my hobby. She was familiar with AD&D and had painted a few fantasy minatures before we met. We've been married for more than 11 years now and she still tolerates my hobby fairly patiently.

My interests these days are very eclectic. I still love Warhmmer Fantasy, but have given up 40K. In no particular order some of the other games I play are Flames of War, Victorian Science Fiction (mostly with The Sword and The Flame with house rules) and All Things Zombie. There are more but I will document them as they resurface in my game playing.

I want to set four "project" goals for this year and try to complete at least one each quarter. This years hobby projects are:

1) Inventory and organize my VSF collection.
I have, literally, thousands of 25mm and 28mm Victorian era figures. After determining exactly what is piled and boxed up around the basement I want to cull the herd, as it were, and sell off the unneeded figures.

2) Finish my Flames of War Late War Grenadier force.
I started them last summer and I want to get a 1500 point force battle worthy.

3) Reorganize and finish one Warhammer Army.
I finally played a game with the new rules recently and want to get a 2000 point army finished. I haven't decided which army to work on yet. It will be High Elves, Tomb Kings or Brettonians.

4) Rebase and get battle ready my 12mm American War of Indepence collection.
I bought a 12mm painted AWI collection on Ebay two or three years ago and need to reorganize and rebase them to start playing some battles.

Well, that's enough to get me started. Next I'll post some pictures of the current condition of the basement and get started on the VSF collection.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Oh, man. I am going to have to set up my table in the basement this spring. Assuming, of course, that I can find some pals to play with...it's lonely out here in Maine.