Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mission Failure: The Year in Review

The first thing I've learned this year is that in the heat of a game I forget to take photos for a battle report. I've had the opportunity to play many games this year but haven't taken any photos. My friend Dave often takes many pictures and about once a year he gives me a CD filled with snaps from our games. I really would like to update more often here. I find that documenting my progress keeps me motivated.

I set four goals for myself this year. Overall I failed to complete them though I made progress on most of them. First I planned to organize my VSF collection. I made fair progress on this project. I finished an aeroscaph and airship complete with crews as well as generally sorting out my unpainted figures. I am certain I can field an entire British battalion if I painted them all. I hope to sell off most of my unpainted stuff at the Little Wars flea market next year.

My second goal was to finish my late war German grenadiers for Flames of War. I did make some progress. I based most of the infantry and started painting the few vehicles needed. I haven't played any Flames of War this year which is probably why I didn't get them finished. I find that having an upcoming game provides inspiration.

My third goal was to reorganize and finish one Warhammer army. I consider this one a partial success. I recently hosted a 6000 point per side Warhammer game. In preparing for it I got my High Elves together and found I had well over 3000 points ready to go. I still have a few things I'd like to paint up for them.

My last goal was to rebase my 12mm American Revolution figures. I didn't get any farther than pulling out my rule books and reading some books on the period. I plan to jump into it after the first of the year.

Overall, I am happy with what I did get done this year. Most importantly I got plenty of gaming in. Several of our friends join my wife and me to play boardgames. I cannot recommend Trailer Park Wars enough. It's a great laugh.

Hopefully next year I will update more regularly and start posting battle reports.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

"I hope to sell off most of my unpainted stuff at the Little Wars flea market next year."

I hope this too. ;)

Love,
Your Wife